Head Of Agronomy Frigoken 471 views
- Salary Offer Competitve
- Country Madagascar
- Language(s) English
- Highest Degree Level Msc/Bsc in Agronomy
- Level of Experience Expert
Frigoken is looking for a Head of Agronomy!
Job type: Full-time, On-site.
Frigoken is looking for a strong Agronomist whose role will be to provide overall technical leadership in the areas of sustainable farming in partnership with thousands of smallholder farmers. You will provide high-quality inputs and continuous training on good agricultural practices. This is a key role that will inform the quality of output through focused scientific methods and techniques that may need to be unique to every farmer Frigoken works with hence the need for the industry’s best with vast experience in planning studies and experiments to improve crop yields (for small-scale farmers) regardless of the climate.
For Over 30 years, Frigoken has been supplying safe, quality products produced to the highest global standards. They produce all year round engaging thousands of small-scale farmers in their value chain while forging a better future for these farmers. They are the largest export-oriented vegetable processing company in East Africa specializing in value-added and niche market products ie fresh, jarred, canned, and frozen vegetables.
This is a Full-time role that will be reporting to the General Manager of Agronomy with the support of the IPS team. Other important contacts within the scope of your operations are the Farmers growing produce for Frigoken whom you will develop and establish by providing them with the best practices. Your key deliverable will be to ensure the budgeted production (as per the Board-approved business plan/budget) is produced all year round with minimum wastage. The production is fully based in Kenya with a focus on global customers and partners so your primary goal is to make sure the company’s overall production can meet the demand in the existing export markets and upcoming markets.
- Operations (90%)
- You will lead studies, assessments, and documentation of best practices and activities related to sustainable crop production for owned farms and those of outside growers based on insightful evidence-based solutions.
- You will develop and refine tools and systems in relation to crop production, agronomic practices, and related.
- You will engage recruited farmers and develop their agronomy capacity to ensure high-quality produce and maximum yield for the company’s raw material input while providing technical support to post-harvest handling across all small-scale and owned farms.
- You will implement Good Agricultural Practices (GAPs), identify state-of-the-art processes, and efficiently deploy resources for owned farms and those of outside growers so that water and land are used to optimize long-term production and profitability.
- You will plan, coordinate, and control the Company’s daily operation through its managers, working to optimize yield and productivity through advances in resources for the farmers, irrigation timing, and innovative uses of technology.
- You will maintain statutory Food Safety, H&S, and environmental compliance throughout the farms through adherence to policy and procedure. Ensuring all technical requirements, audits and certifications are in place to meet customers and legislative requirements if need be, protecting customers, colleagues, property, and the integrity of the business.
- You will establish, and maintain collaborative relationships with key stakeholders such as landowners and the communities where Frigoken operate maintaining productive and collaborative partnerships which deliver increased land area through a strong reputation for high standards of care.
- You will design and execute planting schedules, cultivation, crop budgets, farm design, pest control, harvest scheduling, and farm record keeping.
- You will develop plans for the company’s existing farm operations and potential expansion efforts.
- You will motivate and lead the agronomy team; improve employee productivity and efficiency through training, and internal growth programs. You will also lead, coach, and develop the Farm teams so they are engaged, fulfilling their potential, and delivering their goals and objectives.
- Business growth and Customer Relations (5%)
- You will ensure that the growing operations are aligned with changing customer requirements, such as sustainability and production methods.
- You will engage in customer development which entails having a deep understanding of each customer and exceeding their expectation.
- You will ensure continuous improvement on products and roll out new products.
These essential functions will also include other job-related duties as required by the team subject to having performance goals and/or targets agreed on and established.
We are looking for someone with at least 5 years of senior management experience in a food processing/manufacturing company dealing with small-scale farmers or a similar work environment with a proven ability to develop and translate plans into cost-effective operations and activities in line with identified and available resources. This includes the planning and implementation of all measures related to crop development for owned farms and outside growers to run different approaches in a climate-compatible way. Their ultimate goal is to work scientifically to produce the finest crops, on the most consistent basis that you can, in any situation.
- You have an MSc/BSc in Agronomy, Plant Sciences, Crop sciences, Arid land agriculture, or other related disciplines with at least 10 years of senior management experience.
- You have strong technical experience with knowledge of recent developments in the sector, including the best practices of crop production, small-scale irrigation, planting, fertigation, pest and disease control, etc, and the ability to analyze, interpret and report results of trials and experiments for maximum quality produce.
- You have a proven track record of effectively leading and scaling the performance of an organization and the outcomes for smallholder farmers.
- You are persuasive and passionate about what you do and you are a strong communicator with excellent interpersonal skills to engage a wide range of stakeholders and cultures.
- You are self-directed with a strong sense of integrity and personal commitment to the goals and values of the organization being transparent and open about sensitive issues regarding their findings.
- You are mission-driven using mathematical and analytical skills in conducting your work and experimentation.
- You are action-oriented, entrepreneurial, adaptable, and innovative in your approach to business.
- You have the ability to work effectively in collaboration with diverse groups of people.
During this period, when the global supply chains have been greatly impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic, Frigoken (FKL) has continued with its engagement with thousands of smallholder rural farmers and has adapted to the changing times to ensure business continuity. With community engagement underpinning Frigoken’s approach, they have consistently designed and implemented sustainable solutions on evidence and best practice to ensure they operate in an ethical and accountable manner. They have been recognized for their sustainable approach and have been the recipient of several awards over the years. Only screened raw materials that are within specifications are received into the factory for processing.
Frigoken Ltd. (FKL) is a member of the Industrial Promotion Services (IPS) group of companies, which is an affiliate of the Aga Khan Fund for Economic Development (AKFED) – an international development agency dedicated to promoting entrepreneurship and building economically sound enterprises in sub-Saharan Africa as well as Central and Southern Asia. AKFED is an affiliate of Aga Khan Development Network (AKDN), which consists of private, international, and non-denominational agencies working to improve living conditions and opportunities for people in specific regions of the developing world.
When you join Frigoken, you become a member of their global team of innovators, dreamers, and doers who are improving the livelihoods of thousands of farmers and surrounding communities. This role will give you the opportunity to improve the process from the ground level up of their transparent and traceable value chain. Frigoken offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience. This is combined with a mix of useful employment benefits including but not limited to: healthcare plans, accommodation, etc, and a company culture that allows you to enjoy your work while making meaningful connections.
There’s much more we can say about Frigoken, the role, and what our client is looking for by way of executive qualities and experience, so if you feel that you fit the initial criteria and are excited to join the team, please let us know by filling out this form (Insert link) to upload your application.
To learn more, visit https://frigoken.com/.
We are a sales enablement marketplace committed to nurturing lifelong partnerships with high-potential talent and businesses to enable and accelerate their growth. “Learning, mentorship, and exclusive career opportunities for you. Join the Africa Sales community here.”
Email Me Jobs Like These
Showing 1–0 of 0 jobs